Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: NO,

"I don't count Tweakers Asylum because
they are too willing to find magic beans.
They are the other extreme from your ilk.
I refer more to the Cable Asylum and
their cable cookers and cryo treatments.
They trust what the hear and don't worry
about science to prove what they hear.
Science will eventually catch up."

Well, there is the problem; it is all a matter of degree, and where one draws the line. For you, magic beans are one side and cooked cables are the other side. For someone else, the dividing line comes somewhere else.

My view, since I cannot personally hear any of these alleged effects, is to use a common-sense application of understood scientific principles, and to be skeptical of claimed effects that don't accord with those principles until such time as they can be proven to occur. The proof could consist of electrical measurements that demonstrated that the alleged effect did in fact lie above the threshold of hearing. Note that I am not saying that one could necessarily predict from the measurements exactly what change the listener would "hear." But I would say that since one could easily measure electrical signals at the nanovolt level, and so on, it would be easy enough to estimate whether any measured changes could conceivably be audible to the human ear or not.

Or alternatively, the proof could consist of rigorously-conducted double-blind tests that established that there did indeed exist people who could reliably discriminate between the before break-in and the after break-in sounds. Just having people who know what they are listening to report that the sound has changed doesn't really cut the mustard. If one accepted such anecdotal reports as evidence, then one would have to accept what the magic-bean tweakers reported also.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.