Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Let's step out of audio for a minute!

"All of this is academic though because you cannot equate stable operation with changes in perception. Changes inconsequential to the basic OPERATION of the transformer could still have perceptible impact on an audio signal passing through the transformer. Never forget that in many cases a transformer in industry has a more or less constant load, whereas an audio transformer has an ever changing load, so things like permeability, hysterisis etc. take on different meanings beyond static values that most transformers are subjected to."

So you think audio is the only application that subjects a transformer to a varying load? The world has only two types of transformers, audio and power transformers?

Let's look at just my small slice of the electronics industry - broadcast engineering. Back in the analog days we had video isolation transformers that went from a 10hz to 10mhz* within 0.1db at a 1 volt max operating level! Think that silver wound tube output transformer is expensive! Inside broadcast grade analog VTRs we had many precision transformers both on the RF/video path as well as the servo systems that controlled the rotating heads and linear tape speed. Speaking of rotating heads, the head disk had four RF transformers that had to endure 14,400 rpm on the old 2in machines. Then there was the rotary transformer, yes a transformer that spins! Even you old VHS machines had one of those. Oh, yeah, the audio section of the VTRs also had a few crude transformers in comparison for the audio path.

I studied servo system engineering in college based on my fascination with VTR servo systems at the time. Back in the early 1980s analog servos still ruled. Differential transformers in sensor circuits were very common. The precision of these circuits made audio in comparison look like tin cans and a string.

And while I only have a cursory knowledge of related fields, I do know that many other areas of electronics have precision transformer requirements with voltages in the nanovolt range. A colleague of mine worked on gun targeting systems in the Navy. He once told me about precision transformers that putting a VOM across on the x1000 scale would vaporize the coil.

The point here is that transformer design has for many, many years, advanced far beyond the rather basic requirements for HiFi audio reproduction. Stability over time, temperature, and most other external influences are proven and well documented.

The issue is not about stability per se, the issue is about measuring it. And based on my experience, any parameter change that would result in a perceived difference in audio reproduction can certianly be measured quite easily with rather low cost test equipment to boot.

As for the audibility of fresh solder connections vs 100hour old solder connections, well that's just silly and has no room for discussion in formal electronics circles.

*to be fair these transformers did have an LC EQ network internally to meet this flatness spec. They were in fact lossy by a db or two which required a downstream amplifier to compensate as well as DC restoration.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.