Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Many Times...

"So you think that effects in a transformer such as hysteresis saturation, eddy currents etc. are not audible as long as the bandwidth of the two transformers is the same?"

I would simply say that if such effects are really audible, then they will correlate with measurements that could be made, and which would shed much more light on what was going on than subjective listening reports.

The discussion in this thread has probably veered off the original topic a bit, and I think most of the recent comments have been concerned with changes in the performance of the amplifier over time (i.e. "breaking in"). The claim has been made that not only transformers, but also wire and even solder joints, need to "break in."

I don't find it totally implausible that the performance of a transformer could change over time, although I would find it much more convincing if a claim to this effect were backed up by measurements, rather than anecdotal reports of a "richer sound" or whatever. I have much more difficult believing that a connecting wire could "break in" in an audibly perceptible way.

I have no difficulty at all, however, in believing that somebody could believe that they hear an audible effect of a wire "breaking in."

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.