Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Many Times...

Let me make a small correction - "there is no KNOWN scientific reason ..." We don't know everything, and specifically we don't know what we don't know.

My experience is that caps and transformers sound pretty bad at first, and in most cases 50 hours or so of music will resolve the problem. I have on occasion listened to a new amp and guessed (correctly) from the sound that the transformer was not yet broken in. Similarly I have done break-in on the bench driving resistors, and heard the difference (5 minutes listening, then 50 hours silent breakin, then listening again) in order to eliminate the effect of becoming gradually accustomed to the sound. On a couple occasions I have not listened at all until the 50 hours breakin was over, and then heard no problems and no change over the next 50 hours. So I at least am convinced something is going on, and while I have no explanation, I can use this knowledge to correctly predict what will happen.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.