Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Coupling Caps - Cary 300sei

Amp sounds good (real good), no complaints except there seems to be a bit of suck-out in the high bass/low midrange region, nothing that I can really put a finger on other than it seems that it sounds a bit muted compared to how I'm used to hearing on albums that I'm familiar with. Maybe it's because I've listened only on SS gear all these years and need to acclimate to tubes? Also getting a lot of stridency (sibilance), but that is probably just room reflection. I tried rolling tubes but that didn't help, suck-out & sizzle are still there regardless.

The reason why I'm thinking about swapping out the coupling caps is mostly 'ok, if it sounds this good with the stock caps in there how much better could it sound with the Jensens or Clarity caps'.

Listening to music thru the 300sei has been an eye opener and I'm enjoying it very much, playing albums that I've listened to many times over the years are like a whole new experience, I'm hearing nuances that I didn't know were there before, it's kinda like rediscovering your music collection all over again, fun!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.