Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: What are the advantages of interleaving on an SE OPT?

This dude can say it better than me:

"There is a technique that is used for valve output transformers, shown in Figure 11.6 - you will not find this method used in power transformers, as it is completely unnecessary and increases the primary-secondary capacitance dramatically.

Figure 11.6 - Interleaved Winding for Extended HF Response

The trick to winding transformers to minimise the winding leakage inductance and self capacitance is called "interleaving", but this results in much greater inter-winding capacitance. The most common way an interleaved winding is done is to use a multi-segmented winding, as shown in the sectional drawing of Figure 11.6. This type of winding is (or was) quite common for high quality valve output transformers, and the extension of frequency on the top end of the audio spectrum is very noticeable.

The capacitance between the primary and secondary can become troublesome with this technique, and although possible, an electrostatic shield (actually, a number of electrostatic shields may be needed) adds considerably to the cost, but creates a minimal overall benefit. This winding method is not used (or needed) with low frequency power transformers, and would lead to greatly reduced electrical safety because of the difficulty of insulating each section from the next. The same problem also exists with an output transformer, but is easier to control because one side of the secondary is earthed and the internal DC is already isolated from the mains.

Edits: 07/15/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.