Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Ping! Gerry E. - All DHT Bottlehead system.

Big J:

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm moving (for the last time!) and there's 1001 things to do. The BH combination has worked out great! This should be no surprise because the BeePre was voiced with the Paramounts (PJ or CB can correct me if I'm wrong).

Three changes have really put the combination over-the-top. First and foremost, if you purchase a BeePre, you MUST get the BeeQuiet stepped attenuator upgrade. It just sounds way better to me than the stock pot. Second, I was very lucky and was able to purchase a number of reissue WE 300Bs for a very reasonable price. I'm using a 1998 factory matched quad in the BeePre and Paramounts and they have definitely kicked up the sound quality a notch or two.

Last, using adapters, I'm running various 6SN7s in the Paramounts instead of 5670s/396As. These include Tung-Sol round-plate 6SN7s, 1940s Raytheon VT-231s, etc. Each of these changes are significant by themselves but taken together, it's synergistic. I recently heard from an industry insider that most of hi-end audio is borderline corrupt! We are talking about prices here. This insider didn't know what components I owned and I was proud to tell him Bottlehead (even if I didn't build them myself). Why? Because they are the antithesis of the corrupt high-end!

Gerry

Edits: 07/14/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.