Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

How 'bout just the sub bass?

I did try to find what I'm about to relate, but couldn't. I know it's somewhere in the Electro Voice white papers or PA Bible.

I remember EV writing that one of the benefits of bi-amping is that when you are talking about a full range audio signal the mids somehow ride on top of the bass signal. This results in the midrange signal being modulated by the bass signal. This modulated signal is a distorted signal. Therefore, if you can remove the bass signal before it gets amplified by the power amplifier, then the distortion is not amplified. That's how I remember it anyway.

I think connecting the amplifier directly to the driver solves many damping issues, and damping is only really important with the bass, and it can be tailored by the amp designer. Lack of power can addressed by higher efficiency.

One day I would like to have one SET amp optimized for bass, and one optimized for mids/treble. It's possible that eliminating the sub bass is the key. I get your point about the Voltsecond article.

--------------------------------------------------------

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.