Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Test # 1........ driver stage distortion?

I am going to answer your Qs, and Willie may wanna chime in :

"Did you figure how much distortion the 26 driver stage puts out when the amp is at a certain power level?"

Probably not. Is that really important to document, when designing by ear???

Willie operates at UNDER 1 Watt over 90 percent of the time, uses wire-optimized GPA 604s in a MLTL. Aren't better early triodes, like a Type 26, basically linear devices?

"Do you get enough jump factor from the low mu driver tubes in your system?"

Probably. Its hard to compare if you never have fully optimized a single mu of 100 tube really well. ( We work on this, into 2015.)

However, the MAIN POINT of this amp of Willie's is to have an "ALL DHT device" amplifier. Willie LIKES the sound of a DHT front end, and in this case, he is willing to add a stage to get it. Dealer's choice !!

"It seems odd that you would deviate from the 2-stage SE with high mu driver tubes that DF and JM use."

Not too odd. 26s sound nice. It has a theoretical mu of 9, so using two would multiply as 9 times 9, or 81, compared to a single high mu tube with a mu-rating of about 70 ( 6SL7 ) to 100 ( 12AX7, 7B4 ).

Again, Willie's choice, his "trade off" IMHO is (a) adding a cap couple and (b) a third stage to the amp. These two trade offs will lose transparency compared to a VERY well executed two stage amp directly coupled.

Willie may wanna add his two cents !!

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.