Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Aluminum plate thickness for amp project

Either one sounds fine. The ceramic standoffs are likely insulated whereas the through-bolts would be conductive; sounds like you've taken that into account.

I'd use the through-bolt approach mainly for aesthetic reasons - you can get a socket-head capscrew, a countersinked fastener or somethings else that looks good to have a clean appearance on top, whereas the standoff would show a nut and exposed threads. Of course, you could use an acorn nut to dress that up, if that's your style.

Why 1/2" tubing? You shouldn't need very big fasteners for the tube sockets. Even #8 would be overkill, #10 way over, and 1/4-20 crazy over. If your local hardware store has a good fastener section (maybe with those vendor-stocked boxes from Dorman or Hillman, etc.), hunt around, they should have bushings or spacers for standard fastener diameters that should do the trick.

If isolation from vibration is a particular concern, you can get isolating standoffs - they have threaded studs on both ends and a rubber body in the middle. Same problem with nuts on the top surface, and not too sure they are actually necessary or beneficial, but would be the gold standard for vibration isolation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.