Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Is this an OEM issue or simply sonics?

I won't go into "matching equipment" from different makers - maybe that's a red herring.

If you just want good sonics, go back to basics. Use a good DHT. Plenty of 26 preamp designs around now. Only thing better than that is a 4P1L preamp, which is a bit special. Believe me, I've been through preamps with all the DHTs - 10Y, 71A, 01A, 112A and a long list of lesser known DHTs. The 26 and 10Y are formidable options, but I think of all of them I'd take the 4P1L.

So if you get the tube right you get the potential of the best sonics. You then just have to play around with the circuit. I'd say filament bias is an imperative and I'd use an LL1660 in a configuration that suits your setup. You won't get anything commercial with this purist configuration - you'd have to build it or get somebody to build it. Not rocket science. I've built at least a dozen preamps like this. I don't build any more - I have my 2 stage 4P1L > PSE 4P1L amp and that's all I need or want. Nothing I ever built in 40 years comes close.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.