Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

A Line Stage Preamplifier Issue

I have two SET amplifiers: a pair of Fi Audio 2 stage 2A3/45 monos and an AN(UK) Conqueror Silver power amplifier. I prefer the 45 tube with the Fi monos and that amp sounds very different - much more neutral - than the Conqueror Silver.

I currently use a DeHavilland UV2 with both of them. It works well with the Fi amplifier, not as well with the AN amplifier. I auditioned an AN M6. It worked very nicely with the Conqueror Silver and not very nicely with the Fi monos.

I know mixing AN components with gear from other mfrs. is fraught with problems. Has anyone - with experience in this area - had success with a non-AN line stage with AN amplifiers?

Passive does not work well, due to high Bass impedance of my CD player, also from AN(UK). I'm also looking for a line stage that is low impedance.

I wonder if Kevin Carter's line stage with switchable gain 6-12 Ohms would work? My current preamp has a gain of about 10dB, a bit high for the Conqueror (although I have full attenuation in some trimmer pots).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - A Line Stage Preamplifier Issue - Frihed89 14:20:59 06/05/15 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.