Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Aluminum plate thickness for amp project

Hello,

I am starting to pull together my first amp project, and need to figure out the thickness of the aluminum plate that the components will sit on. My layout looks like it will be 20 x 14. The idea is to have a wooden frame that is rabbited out by 1/4 to support the loaded plate, as well as angle stock screwed to the plate and frame from below to fix the plate in place and provide additional support. I don't have a scale, but the input transformers and power transformers weigh in at about 60 lbs (they are big monsters), and will be located towards the rear edge of the plate (about 1" in from the edge).

I was thinking of 1/4" just to be on the safe side, but maybe that is overkill or inadequate - I have no experience. I was looking for a load table on the web, but only found one for aluminum flooring.....

Any input of suggestions would be appreciated. I am just getting started on rounding up remaining components for the project and getting my brain wrapped around the schematic. I will certainly be back often with lots of questions once I get into this.

Regards -- Roger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Aluminum plate thickness for amp project - rogerh113 06:30:42 06/04/15 (58)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.