Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Electra Print vs Hashimoto - practical economy or necessary expenditure?

You can get enjoyable, interesting sound out of SETs with little difficulty; a great SET amp is something different and rare(er).

Based on what I have seen and experienced of Min's builds, I'd be talking to Min about layout and parts selection:

> Allowing a little extra chassis space so components can be well laid out and mounted.

> I'd especially like to see grommets on the (roughly finished) chassis holes used for routing wires.

> Use decent tube sockets - not those horrible ceramic Chinese things I sometimes see.

> Keep the input wiring away from the PSU wires and transformer.

> Don't use electrolytic caps in critical areas... almost anywhere (if possible).

If he is using a bus for 0v signal grounding in your amp, ask him to brush-up on the order things need to be attached to the bus. There is more, but those few things should help ensure some reliability and reasonable noise levels in most systems.

Of course, these are just my opinions and suggestions.

Regards,
"Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems to characterise our age." Albert Einstein

Edits: 05/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Electra Print vs Hashimoto - practical economy or necessary expenditure? - 91derlust 20:31:01 05/20/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.