Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Electra Print vs Hashimoto - practical economy or necessary expenditure?

Virtually all of Min's Korneff clones (and all of the ones built by Korneff) have used electraprint OPTs. There must be a reason for this. Ask Min.

Re. Drlowmu's suggestion to build a 2 stage (direct coupled) 45, I'd agree with this, but only because I have a pair of Fi monoblocks that can use both the 2A3 and the 45 just by changing the rectifier (although this setup is slightly less optimized for the 45, but close, according to Don Garber). One of the nice things about this design, is that the driver stage is very simple: just a single triode, on the order of one-half a 12AX7. There's an old review of the Fi 2A3/45 monos on the net by Jeff Day, if you want to see how clean and simple the build is inside the amp, not many parts!

I do know that Don went from Magnequest OPTs to Hashimotos (don't know the specs) after I received mine. Don also told me that Magnequest all silver OPTs are also lovely on this amp: $6,000 for two!

AN double C-core Opts are insanely expensive, but i have enjoyed them on two Audio Note 300B stereo amps. On AN equipment, they make a huge difference compared to the standard EI OPTs - more detail, better inner resolution, better defined soundstage, cleaner top end and tighter on the bottom. I've only used the entry-level, copper C-cores (Hi-B).

Edits: 05/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.