Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: General SET question - performance vs push-pull

"I could likely work to understand the technical bits, but my major focus is on the listening side."

That's exactly what's needed when the subject of SETs comes up. SETs don't generally measure as well as their push-pull cousins. However, if the reduced power available from a single-ended triode amplifier is suitable for your system, the audible improvement can be significant. There are many theories as to why this is so, but suffice it to say this is one of those arenas best explored and characterized by ear. I will say that I have occasionally come across an audiophile who truly hated SET amplifiers, but as with so many aspects of this pursuit, the cause was always open to much conjecture.

I build most of my own gear, but it appears to me that Bottlehead has an outstanding product. There is also considerable respect for Audio Note products, although they are likely to cost quite a bit more. I think you wouldn't go wrong with either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: General SET question - performance vs push-pull - Triode_Kingdom 17:55:58 05/16/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.