Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

General SET question - performance vs push-pull

Hello,

Just started to look at SET amps as an option, and am looking for opinions as to expected improvement. I am wondering if a SET would be a noticeable/substantial improvement to my current amp. Sorry if the post is a bit wordy, but I figure too much info, in this case, is better than too little.

I am currently running a Primaluna Prologue 5 power amp with (what I think) significant tube upgrades - Bugle boy 12au7s and 5751 Sylvania black plate triple mica. The amp sounds very nice. I am running quite efficient speakers (Klipsch Forte 1 with Ti tweeters and rebuilt crossovers), which causes me to run my linestage pre (Mod Squad Deluxe Line Drive) at max of 25% (9 O'Clock). This means I am attenuating my signal by 75% so I can amplify it back up again - too much gain in the amplifier. I did notice a SIGNIFICANT improvement when I went from a pre-amp (Classe DR-4) to the linestage, and I am assuming the elimination of excess amplification from the system was a large part of it. Is it likely that a SET amp would provide a significant improvement to my system? If so, are there any suggestions as to things I should look for/avoid and to watts per side (speakers are supposedly 97db)? If there is any particulary useful book on SET amps, please let me know. I have an engineering background, so I could likely work to understand the technical bits, but my major focus is on the listening side.

Regards -- Roger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - General SET question - performance vs push-pull - rogerh113 17:14:29 05/16/15 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.