Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

WE 91A Clones all seem to Omit the Feedback of the original 91A amps...

How many of you built your 91 clones with that feedback loop included ?

That feedback was a terrific bandwidth extender. The first SE amps I made in the mid to late '80s were built on Thordarson T-30W08 chassis. Without that feedback loop, (also considered a tone control by some), the amps had flabby bass with little oomph. Add, or switch in that loop, presto change-O, better bass and dynamics instantly; especially with mid-grade opts like the early WE, Thordarson, UTC, Samson, General Radio, etc....even the early Peerless offerings to replace the WE 91 SE tranny...Keep in mind that theoretically, if a feedback loop is "before" the opt tranny, the opt is not considered to be part of the loop. Yet, sonically, the WE 91A (300A tube's plate to 310A screen grid) feedback makes quite an impact...

Also, looking closely at the Loftin-White scheme circa 1927-1929, the "raised" voltage on the opt tube filament(cathode) is connected to the front end input tube's plate...certainly considered a feedback loop by many...Connecting certain amplifier power supply caps' negative return lead to an output tube's cathode is also considered feedback by many soundmen...

So folks, please do not underestimate the potential benefits of all topologies...feedback included....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.