Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

+1 and another one to consider......

Commercially available SET hifi amps are numerically small compared to all the other stuff out there. Just go to a hi-fi show, you'll see. I'd wager that the majority of the SET amps in the world are DIY; either kits, scratch-built, or very small scale manufacturing by artisan builders.

It's probably more useful to consider design topologies, rather than specific manufacturers, when trying to determine the most popular SET amps. When you look at it that way, the Western Electric 91A clones (or, more generally, pentode driver, triode output) are definitely among the most popular. Maybe even the most popular. Hard to say.

Another big contender for most popular would be the Loftin White type (or, again more generally, two-stage direct coupled). There are lots of these around the world. Maybe more than the above.

The only other one that comes to mind as super popular is the two stage, low mu triode input/driver coupled to triode output design. Probably not as many of these as there are 91's and LW's, but there's still a lot of them.

There are other designs (IT coupling, etc) that will find recommendation from many, but in terms of sheer popularity, there are probably fewer of these types of amps out there.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • +1 and another one to consider...... - gilmorneau 09:22:15 05/09/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.