Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: SET and PSET with 6S33S

With transformers that are configured to be highly flexible, there come other sacrifices that you wouldn't otherwise have with a unit designed for one application only.

In this instance, I would find this to be particularly true for the PSE 6C33 instance, as you have absolutely the wrong transformer for that. (Go custom - 300:8 @600mA)

Unfortunately, you will really want to pick whether or not you want to go PSE, then you can narrow down on experimenting with iron.

As for the Melquiades, I am a little disturbed at the parts count and complexity just to present grid bias voltage to the driver tube. There are plenty of decent ways to get 3.4V of bias under the cathode, and most of them don't involve their own power supply. If you have a preamplifier with a transformer coupled output, especially one with low impedance, you will lose bias adjustment on the driver, and the operating point will shift. (It needs a blocking cap at the input)

The 6E5P is a great choice for a driver tube, but a real opportunity here has been wasted. This is a tube with high Gm and low Rp, and you have an amplifier with 200V of B+ already. There are many decent plate chokes that are suitable here - a Magnequest EXO-001 will give you 100H at 20mA and drop under 20V doing so, you could just use this between the 6E5P plate and B+ supply for the 6C33, you've just eliminated a power transformer and a bunch of parts that you have to buy and shove into the amp, and heating in your chassis will be reduced. To bias the 6E5P, try a 270 Ohm resistor, a 270 Ohm resistor bypassed, and maybe a blue 3.5V LED.

Edits: 05/05/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.