Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: SET 45

For best performance, do a simple circuit. That means two stage and eliminate the cap couple.

That means a Morrison Micro, adapted to the Type 45 tube.

There are several of things you can do to update and improve the Morrison Micro. (1) Do NOT parallel sections of the 6SL7 as they will smear and "fight" each other. This means you need to double the value of both the Ra and the Rk, and attach these Rs to only ONE triode section. (2) Change out the 5V4G for a 5U4GB. ( 3) Change all the 1990's style SCR polyprop supply caps to the new and wider band WIMA DC LINK caps. (4) Bypass the Rk of the 6SL7 with multiple, decreasing value film caps, DynamiCaps are made for this. (5) Use a higher Ohms value Rk when converting from a 2A3 to a Type 45 in the output stage, (6) On the Final's tube Rk bypass, use multiple film caps, and NOT a single electrolytic as drawn, and (7) Use a 5K primary SE output, inexpensive ones made by EDCOR, HAMMOND, etc etc .

This little Type 45 amp will EAT all the other circuits you were contemplating, due to its simplicity. Its awesome.

Email me if you have additional questions, need help selecting parts and /or values. Glad to help.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 04/25/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: SET 45 - drlowmu 16:22:02 04/25/15 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.