Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE:So true

many of the original brown base power tubes were labeled low leakage bases and favored for the added extension to the highs.

Also the more powerful the tubes you will see ridged being molded between the pins, to lengthen any possible arc path.

The more fingers of mica, the less microphonic the tube. Or so J.C. Morrison told me early on when he became head designer for New Sensor. You can see this on early Genalex KT-77's, Earlier models have many fingers making contact with the glass later ones are more limited in number.

In the multi fingered micas, if you examine them carefully, the fingers alternate in length. Longer fingers crush against the glass for stability and the shorter ones serve as centering devices for the tube structure

Morrison informed me that the mica sheets have to have all perforations and shapes made with ONE pull of the die. This made complex shapes and perforations expensive to produce, because the dies would wear quickly relatively speaking. I'm sure now with laser etching readily available, things may have changed,.

Just dissected a Mullard xF2 which rolled off my desk and cracked. Interesting. Nothing too much different but the screen and grid support rods were all blackened. Haven't seen that in GE 6ca7's and such. Haven't compared it to regular EL 34's.

Some tubes use those beryllium bronze support rods, thought maybe that was for better conductivity, but Morrison told me it is done help dissipate heat better.

I'm sure there are many other factors that I am ignorant of.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE:So true - unclestu 19:19:55 04/11/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.