Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: the amp carries more signifigance than the speaker? er, respectfully disagree, indeed; the room trumps all~nT

I have found that it has almost as much to do with the amps.

I once demoed a pair of speakers from Sonics (Allegria) that had three modules each with a different kind of driver (metal cone driver, SEas magnessium mid and ribbon tweeter) at a guys place (not in a shop). I had brought with me a KR Audio VA350i and the guy had a Gamut preamp and Gamut amplifier (D200 something or other). With his amp combo, the sound was not coherent and each driver was clearly heard doing its own thing in it's own bubble. I found this disconcerting and difficult to listen to.

After a while we put on the KR Audio and suddenly it was like someone took out a welding torch and welded those drivers together into a whole sounding speaker. It was not a subtle effect. I realized that there was a pretty good speaker there dying to get out that was simply not realized with the Gamut amps. It was one of the most striking examples but I have heard it more subtly many other times.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.