Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: "truthful to the emotions, flow, aliveness and tone of a live musical performance"

"I think "tone" is in the eye of the beholder, also."

Not really. The timbre and tone of live instruments is pretty easy to assess and compare against the reproduction. Obviously there is degradation along the way in the recording chain and source but I have found that preamps and amps have a profound affect on the end result.

The one that let's an instrument sound the most like you would hear live is the one that is more accurate to a human. It usually isnt' the one that measures better but this is a side effect of the way engineers normally reduce distortion.

What SS afficianados consider "detail" or accuracy is really an insidious form of distortion caused by negative feedback creating an imbalance between low and high order harmonics. When people complain about "tube sound" this is also form of distortion (usually from transformer saturation).

I find it interesting that when someone says an amp sounds more like live or the real thing that they instantly assume it is "euphonic" rather than simply more accurate than the bleached out sounding "accurate" amplifier.

There is a good Stereophile article where Keith Howard made software to add distortion to recordings. What he found is that none added is the best but as soon as you add something then there is a clear preference for certain distortion patterns and away from other patterns. Since no product is distortion free then you need to look at the one where the distortion is the most invisible to the ear, not to the oscilloscope.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.