Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Amazing JJ 2A3-40's

Okay, this is pretty embarassing but in the interest of promoting a great tube, I thought I'd share it anyway. Around a year ago I re-purposed a PP KT88 monoblock pair into a pair of SE 300B amps (yes, new OPT, driver, etc.). I used an EL84 driver, set the 300B to around 350v and 70ma, DC heaters. When I first listened I thought it sounded really nice, the bass was especially tight compared to other 300B amps I've built. Everyone who has heard it has enjoyed it. This weekend I took them to an audio buddy's house because he wanted to hear 300Bs. He commented on the 2A3s I had plugged into the amps. No, I said, they are 300B's. Well, sure enough, I had grabbed a pair of JJ 2A3s from the bench and used those instead of 300Bs. They are the same tubes I've been running in this since I built it about a year ago. I never caught the big red lettering: "2A3-40". That means I've been running them at 24 watts, but more interesting is that I had 5v on the fils, not 2.5 - talk about a stress test! Once I get them hooked back into the system, I'll swap in some 300Bs and see how they sound with the right tube. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Amazing JJ 2A3-40's - SteveBrown 08:09:56 03/09/15 (28)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.