Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Three days ago I would have said...

211/845 in a walk out of the usual suspects. BUT I came home from auditioning the Audio Note 2A3 Empress Silver amps of a whole 7 watts per channel and was utterly STUNNED by the level of bass, grip, power control and high level impact it could muster on big recording bass drum music. That's the first time I really auditioned a 2A3 for any length of time. Hands down better than their 300B Quest amps.

I was not remotely expecting that since people have described the 2A3 as the softer blurrier albeit musical tube selection. Yeah it hit those talking points about beauty and midrange acumen but it was clean, taught and rather epically dynamic and had pretty impressive impact indeed. It made the couch rattle.

Apparently the tubes themselves are less expensive than 300B as well and the Empress was using what looked to be fairly standard PSVANEs so probably not too expensive at all. I'm really excited by them because my favorite tube amps are the Jinro/Tomei/Ongaku but they're SOOOO expensive. But the Empress seems to me to carry many of the similar attributes that the 211 possesses (albeit at less power) and while not quite as sophisticated they seem a relative bargain.

Edits: 02/27/15 02/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.