Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Fi 2A3 mono amps v. this (see photo)

Thanks for the critique, Jeff.

First of all, I have no technical knowledge so please forgive my ignorance.

By DC, you presumably mean direct-coupled? Since there appears to be a capacitor (mounted on the gold-coloured metal bar) in the signal path, I assumed this to be a capacitor-coupled design.

What/where are the Rks you refer to?

Re the use of a 6J5, it's my understanding that a low gain driver will give better results if the loudspeaker being driven is sufficiently sensitive. (Audio Note UK, for example, use a 6J5 in their low gain version of the Conquest 300B amp.)

Re the sound - well, just 2 days ago I installed a pair of JJ 2A3-40s (replacing EML mesh plates) and I have to say I'm really impressed. They seem to be much better for low-level listening and, so far, appear to have all of the finesse of the EMLs.

Just last night I was listening to a Frank Zappa LP (the wonderful Uncle Meat) and, WOW, I don't think I've ever heard such fidelity of sound! The engineer (Dick Kunc) on this recording did an amazing job but I believe quite a lot of the credit for the quality of reproduction is due to the amps I'm using.

Makes me glad I didn't win the eBay auction for the Fi amps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.