Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

I have used them in a 91-type SET...

...run at lowish dissipation (~52mA and 250V). The amp runs all metalised film caps (except for the Jupiter Alu foil coupler), quality (but not exotic) components, and is voiced for musicality without giving up much transparency.

Overall, the JJs are what I would call a good baseline tube; a solid all-round performer without the weaknesses of some. Their most apparent trait is that they sound powerful and dynamic unlike any 2A3 tube I have heard. I imagine they would sound dynamic in almost any amp. I also found them to be reasonably clear and detailed, with a slightly emphasised and softish bass and a touch bright up top. They are forthright and I could have happily have lived with their sound.

They have a reputation for inconsistent build quality and the pins on mine seem slightly over-sized and roughly finished compared to the other 2A3s I own. Make sure you purchase from a dealer that tests and matches them and will back-up the warranty.

For a similar general style of presentation, but with more clarity and a more coherent presentation, but not quite as dynamic, the EML solid plates are available, at a price. They are also better built, finished like jewelery, can hum less (if running AC fils with hum nulling) and Jac now offers an 18-month warranty if you register the tubes. The EML solid plates are my daily drive now.

Other tubes I have tried are the Shuggie 2A3C (odd-sounding; now used for testing only) and the EML meshies (a different type of presentation; beautiful, yet without overt weakness).

Of course, this is in my particular system and interpreted through my auditory system to satisfy my personal preferences when listing to my music. YMMV.

Cheers.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

Edits: 02/17/15 02/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I have used them in a 91-type SET... - RC Daniel 18:34:17 02/17/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.