Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Penny wise

"The gain structure of an amplifier should stay essentially the same until it runs out of power."

Well, it will. Unless there are variable mu tubes being used.

Using normal tubes, the gain of the circuit will stay the same through it's normal use voltage range.

So again, you try to make this all sound mysterious as if you're the only person who understands.

You create issues that don't exist so that you can be the hero who slays the dragon, the dragon that only exists in your mind.

Gain is gain.

Other than the output level, the response to a musical signal of a high gain stage is no different than the response to a musical signal of a low gain stage.

Your inference that a high gain stage is needed to "properly capture the leading edge" (or whatever the hell you said) is BS.

If I have a low gain drive stage (and the same output stage and the same speakers and the same source) and I want the SPL in the room to be the same as an amp with a high gain driver stage (and the same output stage and the same speakers and the same source) I will have to attenuate the source signal less.

As long as there is enough signal available from the source, attenuating that signal less will not adversely effect the dynamics or the ability of the system to "properly capture the leading edge---blah, blah, blah".

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 12/15/14 12/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Penny wise - Tre' 07:43:19 12/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.