Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Penny wise

It is the correct amplifier gain for today's source components.

See "Get Better Sound"-- from an experienced guy in Cummings, Georgia. The book is readily available, and explains it for you-- just Google it.

Since I'm not running "8 watts"-- that's an irrelevant supposition, and an irrelevant power level in my own personal system as well.

The voltage multiplier effect of an amp partially determines HOW it responds to signal input, we're not considering power levels here..

You're considering running an amplifier at, or near full output. While those examples are interesting, I don't ever run an output stage anywhere near full output under any condition, for any reason whatsoever..

I also consider any amp that clips it's output stage before driver stage clipping limits the output stage (conventional amps)-- is a serious design mistake in many, many ways. It's always been a Commercial gimmick used to extract maximum advertised power (and minimum microdynamics) out of tube output stages, which DON'T LIKE that kind of operation, and don't last very long doing it.

I'm interested in what the DRIVER-- and the whole amp as an extension-- SOUNDS LIKE, and BEHAVES LIKE-- at tackling music's leading edges, and at separating musical events while they're all playing at once-- especially at low speaker volumes, and again at very high speaker volume. I expect those two conditions to be as nearly identical as I can get them at any power levels that a given audio system will experience...

The gain structure of an amplifier should stay essentially the same until it runs out of power. Any measurements or mental considerations after that point are.... pointless.

---Dennis---

Edits: 12/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.