Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Its finger TAP - TAPPING time !!! Thanks !!

Hello,

You ask " Have you determined a correlation between the frequency match and bias? "

NO , I have not done that if I understand what you are asking me. I do run almost all my tubes at "Golden Ratio" (62%) of maximum plate dissipations, as I find there is a thermally STRESSED unpleasant sound when I push currents up on tubes. Being a voltage device, I maintain high P-K voltages, and just relax the currents through the tube. I LIKE doing this, sounds more relaxed and natural to me, and the tubes will perform that way for a MUCH longer lifespan.

There is NO snake oil with tapping tubes held against your ear, and listening to them respond. It tells you how loose or tight the elements are assembled, and if anything is rattling, etc. It sure seems intuitive to me that we can do EAR matching of the assembles, and get a uniform sound form the two closest resonating output tubes, in our SE amps !!

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Its finger TAP - TAPPING time !!! Thanks !! - drlowmu 14:21:45 12/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.