Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Thanks for your thoughts Dennis.

>>> I'm still pretty hung up on this, and am trying to talk a trans-builder into making me a truly balanced filament trans. <<<

Sounds interesting Dennis; if you don't mind, keep us informed of your progress.

I'd like my amps to be as simple and needing as few adjustments as possible... and I'd like them to be quiet, stable and reliable... oh, and sound just as I like them! Seems like we have similar priorities, even if our methods differ. Of course, my implementation is not as evolved as yours.

For my first amp build I used a 27-turn, 10 Ohm Vishay, bulk foil pot and even with less than ideal grounding (to my mind) I have been able to get noise down to ~1mV on one channel, and somewhere between 1mV - 2mV on the other using the EML solid plates (noise with the mesh plates was a touch higher). This is okay I think; I can't hear hum more than about a foot away from each of the 99dB+ efficient speakers. The difference between 2mV and 6mV hum is noticeable, I think, but it might just be "expectation" effect. As an aside, I find it interesting that my amp seems quieter than the two solid state amps it has replaced, despite using ac fils... maybe that slight hum is less offensive than whatever noise some solid state amps produce?

I am looking forward to my next build, but still have not settled on how I will manage hum...

Cheers.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

Edits: 12/06/14 12/06/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.