Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Not a Factor ......

A well designed DC amp will require NO trim pots of any sort. Trim pots are baloney, junk design. Amps should really be engineered to have NO pots in them, good amps !!

The op points should be thoughtfully centered ( and conservative ) such that changes in AC line, and tube aging, are FULLY taken into account at the onset. Trim pots are band aides for incorrect designing.

Me personally, I have been working with DC SE amps since 2007, and I have never had a failure of any sort.

GarGoyle, you have mail. Punching a hole for an Octal high mu driver tube is a mistake of sorts. A 9 pin miniature will sound better, it does not have all the soldered connections to the octal's socket pins, and is "less hazy" more distinct sounding since the wires come directly out of the glass envelope, and do NOT terminate into solder connections (eight) on an Octal tube socket. Maybe its not much of a factor on a 6SN7 with a mu of 20, but it certainly IS audible ( as a degrade ) on a mu of 70 to 100 tube.

LMAO, it will be a cold day in Hell when anyone beats half a Telefunken etc. 12AX7, under one milliamp, DCed into a 2A3, IF you know how to do it. Proof .... is in the pudding !!! I am working on a stereo 1/2 12AX7 - JJ 2A3 amp for myself as of this very moment, applying new things I've learned. Installed L1/L2 for each channel - this afternoon. No pots in my amps !!

Gotta go now, tonight is the Kansas City Symphony's performance of G.F. Handel's "Messiah" , and I can't wait to hear / experience it !!

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 12/05/14 12/05/14 12/05/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.