Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: if money wasn't a consideration...

I will make a mechanical analogy which may help you understand this topic a little bit.

Voltage can be compared to speed, and current to torque, and an output trabsformer and a transmission have about the same job.

Putting a 32 ohm load on a 16 ohm tap is like trying to drive 80 miles an hour in 3rd gear. Yes it could work but you will run out of RPM(voltage). The whole intention of the output trabsforner is to match the tubes to the load, and the value is purely arbitrary provided the load and source have the same value (be it 4,8, 15(UK), 16, etc)

4,8,16 ohm etc speakers exist becasuse in the early history of radio it was decided that 2,000 ohm speakers are cumbersome and it's better to have a trabsformer and a practical to make voice coil.

The only reason 16 ohms is preferable on. Tube amp is when you either have a tapped secondary and 16 ohms is the only way to use all of it, or with an OTL amplifier, which is very limited in terms of current delivery (I.e. Already mismatched) and can usually make more power into higher impedance loads.

Edits: 11/30/14 11/30/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.