Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Is this 300b too good to be true?

Thanks re: the quote. It can be misinterpreted; I don't think it was intended to be a ko-an, but as with much of Zen practice, to much of Western thinking just about all Zen is confusing or ko-an like... which of course it is. But isn't. ;^)

Nothing lacking in the amp, per se. Just not how I like my amps designed or built, for now. Some of this is based on experience, the rest on the advice of those who I trust.

I would prefer a two-stage amp (or maybe three stage if all DHT). I prefer film/ stacked film/ metalised film-in-oil/ metalised film capacitors (though 'lytics can be useful in DC filament supplies), non-magnetic resistors (quality carbons or tants), minimal capacitive coupling to chassis (or other components/ wires), tags used sparingly, quality tube sockets, minimal solder joints, C or quality EI core outputs...

That is a start. As I said above, just preferences, not dictates.

Cheers.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." Shunryo Suzuki

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.