Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Wrong forum?

And herein lies the hard part.

Locally there's some Altec 755c's in JE labs style baffles for sale, there's some klipsch la scales for more money, and some Cornwalls. I haven't read the entire Fostex catalogue yet, but that's another route. I am aware of quite a few of the options regarding speakers, but Making up my mind is another story. Then there are altecs, but that is really committing myself both financially and real estate wise!

If you think my desire to build the 91a is Quixotic, it is not the half of it, last year I decided to build a pair of "sweet sixteen" speakers per early 60s popular electronics, I just always wanted to know what are they really like, if some magic occurs which makes it more than the sum of their parts (hint: there is no magic). In the end it was fun, gave me a fun wood working project, and didn't cost a whole lot... Some people spend way more than that on a weekend skiing. My interest in copying the 91a is similar, however as a nod to practicality I do want to buy good output transformers, which can be reused in as many projects as possible going forward, in the remote chance the 91a design fails to meet my expectations :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.