Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Wrong forum?

I keep forgetting to look at people's systems to see where they're coming from. I should finish mine. You still running the Tannoy Saturn S6? You mentioned mid horn in another post. No wonder you run PP, you have to. Do I remember you mentioning bi-amping? Am I gonna have to keep dragging out big ugly Chinese SET amps for you guys? I don't like it anymore than you do. But even a BUF Sino SET amp is better than any PP.

On the other thread tubes were mentioned, but I'll reply here, since this one is about tubes. I've had very good luck with NOS 45s. Hunt deals for them on ebay, and feel good about it when you score. TJ Fullmusic is the only Chinese brand I would own. The quality is very acceptable. Solid plates are better at full range or bass, and mesh/perf sound signifcantly better in the mids and highs. Mono plates sound better than dual plates. Gold grids are a desirable feature. I understand Emission Labs just went to GG.

I have a feeling you will want more power, or different speakers. These threads have gotten me thinking of a Tannoy red in a MLTL enclosure, but I already know the end result. It would sound great at normal listening levels, but if you turned it up it would distort. My speakers are very low distortion, and when I crank my system up - it only gets louder.

Oh, and if you don't follow your SET investigations all the way through, then if I die before you do - I'll come back and haunt you.

Jamie

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

Edits: 11/26/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.