Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Getting back to what Dennis said....

I'm not Dennis, but I know a lot of what he considers and thinks after about thirty years of friendship.

This load line thing is looking at ONE thing, which is very short sighted. It pertains to maximum swing and distortion at maximum outputs!!

Most of the time, with efficient speakers, we use 50 to 500 milliWatts of power, seldom over three quarters of a Watt. WTF, why look at maximum power and swing.

There are OTHER considerations to running a JJ, etc, at reduced currents, conservatively !!

What a technical person does is look at load lines, as though THAT is the only consideration. I will give you technical types TWO considerations YOU FORGOT, or never even thought of !!!!

(1) How much happier is the SE output transformer coping with an unbalanced current of 42 mA. versus 60 mA. ?? Certainly, the lower mA. is a PLUS for the SE output. Duhh, why not consider that ?

(2) What is the thermal temperature of the 2A3 triode operating at close to a Golden Ratio plate dissipation, versus the "often used" 100 percent of plate dissipation ( 60 mA. times 250 VDC equal 15.0 Watts, a 2A3's rated maximum ).

What do you think the lower dissipation does for life of the tube ? It probably triples useful life, while sounding better doing it on a LONG TERM use basis !!!

Is reliability and performance consistency worthwhile to have?

Have you RDH-4 memorizing, pencil pushing, HIVE boys ever listened to a WELL WIRED amp, and a triode run at maximum plate dissipation, versus the same tube run at a Golden Ratio dissipation?? Which ones SOUNDS better ? I will tell you. In a well made amp, the lower mA. draw will always sound more free, easy, relaxed, whereas the higher draw will have a STRESSED AS ALL GET OUT unpleasant sound. Where is THAT on the tube characteristic curve chart ????? Missing in action !!!

Screw it, I want the free, easy, relaxed music presentation, without the thermally STRESSED sound for MY listening.

There is a LOT more to building a satisfactory amp, than the HIVE engineering formulas. You gotta consider EVERYTHING in a SE amp, and get it ALL right, ALL at the same time !!! It takes superior experience and mentality to get things really right sounding, not everyone has such a gift.

We need to encourage and support the few who have the skill set and experience to produce audio gear that PERFORMS. Some of you out there do GET this, I am sure !!

Myopia.

It doesn't work so well in the real world of listening and obtaining absolute maximum performance. No need to say any more.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 11/25/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.