Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: question.......

Partially correct. 100% correct calculation-wise.

That is if the tube is pushed to near full output, something that my designs will not allow-- ever.

When substantially less than full output, using lower plate current (not too low) the tube is stressed less, so it performs better.

This is a deliberate design decision, not a miscalculation. The overall design is a balance of many factors like this.

Another deliberate choice is the 2.5K output. It is common knowledge that higher impedance load on the plate equals lower measured distortion numbers.

It is also in my head that higher impedance transformers have a higher turns-ratio--, and if the lamination stack and the output windings are identical, then the input loop will be wound with more turns of finer wire. Of course, the transformer builder could choose to re-balance these two windings, and change BOTH windings to get a new "match". That is-- if he decides to do it that way. He has lots of options.

Although I talk to transformer builders a lot on the phone, and have even designed some of them, it's really nice when something that makes sense is already available, works extremely well, and sports a nice, lower turns-ratio..

This is simply another case where circuit calculations don't tell the whole story. Transformer construction also weighs in.

Don't get too excited, just continue on as you are. It's just another deliberate decision on my part: how much "distortion" am I willing to tolerate VS how much do I want to give away to higher turns-ratio.

TRE, you're free to rigidly follow all the proven formulas you like!

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.