Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Electro-Harmonix 2a3 Gold Grid

I use these Sovtek/EH (premium Sovtek) types for "dinking around". Cheap-tube initial fire-up of a new piece before it's tested.

If all voltages and currents are spot-on, these go out, and JJ 2A3-40 go in.

I have tried to listen to these-- EH2A3's-- they give you a listenable slice of the midrange-- they are Sovteks that have been gold-gridded and improved in other areas-- premium Sovteks.

Alas! As soon as the JJ or the EML gets in the door, these go into the Closet-- they gather dust there until a new amp needs initial fire-up.

Typically, I buy 5 in order to get a usable pair-- if I'm lucky--- TWO pair? Typically, one of the 5 is no good at all.

I have used over 75 JJ's now, and have not found ONE bad one! I do, however, never send out ones that have loosely-stretched filaments in them. I don't like the higher distortion sound, although it's never bad.

I have used about 55 EML's. Again, not a single bad one! (but I do get some loose ones which I keep around here and abuse at will-- these will NOT go out to customers-- only the best ones-- the tight ones that "ring" identically (as close as I can get them) are for that.

We get what we pay for.

---Dennis---

Edits: 11/25/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.