Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: question.......

My 2 cents worth for whatever it's worth.

The most authoritative and dynamic op point for most 2A3 tubes seems to be 250 VDC across the tube, drawing 42.5 ma.

This won't square with the calculation-rich people, but it works extremely well into the standard 2.5K load.

One might load-adjust-- experiment and try something like 3K with the EML, but don't expect any new revelations.. Triodes aren't super critical as to loading, but as you come closer to normal op points, loading gets more critical.

The Thermistor definitely requires bypassing-- that will become more obvious as your amp leans towards better transparency. With sensitive speakers, it will become obvious to you.

The JJ-2A3-40 is easily the most powerful and sensitive. It's a great tube, once you dial-in your amplifier to it's different sound characteristics as compared to other 2A3's. Nothing else sounds the same as it does, so just plunking one into an amp won't reveal what it is capable of sonically, plus it's very powerful with that 42.3 ma.

You won't get more "oomph" from any 2A3 by running more than 45 ma. It doesn't work that way. When the tube is not run as hard (as the standard 60 ma.), it can stand far more input swing without distorting. This will translate into superior perceived power and dynamics. Sometimes, an output transformer that is a cheapie may require quite a bit of current thru the tube, (I'm not discussing transformer saturation level here, I'm talking about the transfer efficiency of the transformer instead), so you must use an efficient transformer to take advantage of the lesser plate current in the tube.

The EML falls between the older predecessor of it-- the AVVT Mesh Plate, and the JJ-2A3-40. It won't handle the idle current of the JJ, but it will handle more than the older AVVT.

The JJ, however, performs GREAT at the 42.5 ma., something one wouldn't expect. This is a really good amplifier tube-- really excellent in every way.

If you just plug-in the JJ, the EML and then the old AVVT Mesh, into an existing amp setup for standard 2A3 operation, you'll hear greatest transparency with the AVVT, less with the EML, and then less yet with the JJ almost to the point of boredom.

All you have to do is re-voice the amp for what tube you're using. When you do that, the JJ-2A3-40 will amaze you. It will deliver EVERYTHING!

That sense of great power will reel you in, once you have it doing all the details and bandwidth right.

And, yes, it can be very elegant. It just needs a different voicing arrangement than any other 2A3.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.