Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: WECo 91A/B--Long, but hopefully informative

To the best of my knowledge (gilmorneau, correct or expand if you have something!) the original output transformer was built on a core shape that has not existed for decades. Not having seen one, or the winding design, or heard one, I won't even guess about performance!

The Peerless TFA-204 was apparently designed as a replacement unit for the Model 91. I have experience with the Magnequest version of this design (Mike has the design archives) which, while a wonderful transformer in its own right, cannot handle the Model 91's 70mA of DC plate current without moving into saturation territory on loud bass signals. I would guess that the movies being shown in the forties and early fifties did not normally have much bass below 50-100Hz, so this would not have been a problem. But for these reasons I would suggest getting a larger and more capable output transformer for audiophile use.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: WECo 91A/B--Long, but hopefully informative - Paul Joppa 21:55:13 11/22/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.