Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Well said, nothing wrong with a 12ax7 dc 45 amp. Enjoy whatever you build. Life's too short to sweat the details >>

Of course you can see it that way. A 12ax7 DC 45 amp is no bad thing. As you suggest this is partly a theoretical point I'm making. A 12ax7 is a decent high gain tube - nothing more than that. It doesn't have the clarity and tone of a DHT, which is obviously why a DHT like the 45 is used in the output to improve the sound over another directly heated tube like EL34 etc etc.

If you rate the 45 as 5 and the 12AX7 as 2.5 you have 7.5/10. If you rate a 4P1L as 4.5 and use one for input and two for PSE output you have 9/10. In filament bias this is probably 10/10. It's a better combination, and works because the mu of the 4P1L is 10, much more than the 45.

Is there a reason beyond the theoretical to think of other solutions? You bet there is - cost. By all means put down some heavy cash on 45 tubes. What I did was buy 200 of 4P1L - probably I got 100 for the price of a really good pair of 45s. We won't even go into Mullard 12AX7s.... Then at some point you need to replace the 45. I have a few lifetime's supply of 4P1Ls.

I completely see that commercial audio firms aren't going to make 4P1L PSE amps in filament bias (or not yet....). So you can't go to market and buy this kind of solution - you have to make it. The marketplace for amplifiers even today is awash with uber-conventional retro thinking. I just believe there are better ways of doing things with the knowledge we now have.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.