Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

For Your K Horn

Sweet little amp! I'm surprised Triode Kingdom hasn't come with the graphs yet at the mention of the 1626. It's probably wearing him out. Let me try. Have you ever really wanted to know what the term "warm" means in audio? Well the 1626 is the definition. Once you hear it you never forget it. It's ultra warm and colored. It's not very good at all. I don't think you will like it. However, that .75 watts is enough. Strange but true. Disclaimer; Jeff at Abraxas said he has beat the 1626 sound. You are free to take your chance.

You have one K horn with the original crossover? Here is the amp for you.
A used Decware SE84C. $350 to $400. You can strap it into mono for a whopping 3.6 watts. The most important feature for you is that it has a very high primary impedence on the opt, and that damping factor will man-handle that crossover you have. It is the only set amp this size that will give you tight bass out of your horn. Any other SET will give you mushy bass, unless you upgrade the crossover. Take your pick. There is a sonic penaly to pay for high impedence, but it's manageable, it doesn't make it suck. I say go active.

I hate to say some crazy s@#t like this on this forum, but there it is.

Jamie

Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • For Your K Horn - Mr_Steady 19:27:23 10/27/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.