Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

SPICE Results

OK, we're using the same tube model, it's the one from the Duncan Amps Website.

Being as this discussion seems to be centering on distortion, gain and output swing, I'll elaborate on my previous points in this regard. However, I want to stress that I consider the choke-loaded totem pole that you've introduced into the discussion a kludge. I've stated why already, but you've failed to acknowledge the points I made in any meaningful way, even after I posted a SPICE analysis showing the horrendously distorted currents within the tubes.

After creating the image below, I took a last look at your latest post and realized it's not quite the same as what we were discussing. I regret not noticing that sooner, but I'm already spending too much time on this. I won't sim it again for the sake of a minor variation, so we'll have to make do. Below are the circuits I tested, with text under each describing the results I saw, plus FFT plots. I've also posted the internal currents again, including those of the standard totem pole, for comparison.

Clearly, the choke loaded circuit isn't responding for me in the way you describe it, other than exhibiting more gain. Nevertheless, it is what it is. Given these results, I'll never use it, and I have no intention of discussing the circuit ad nauseum for no purpose. Of course, if you can address the non-linear currents within the triodes in a way that demonstrates this characteristic to be a trick of the simulation, a ghost, an anomaly that doesn't truly exist, I will reconsider. Absent that, I don't see any reason to continue this discussion.

Choke-loaded totem pole at 1V RMS input:

Standard totem pole at 1V RMS input:

Internal Currents - Choke-Loaded Totem Pole:

Internal Currents - Standard Totem Pole:

Edits: 10/23/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.