Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

How to Improve It

So as not to simply abandon this discussion to the theoretical, here's what I suggest to remedy the shortcomings of the driver circuit of the Baby Ongaku. Everything is derived from SPICE simulations, so tweaking will be necessary to optimize the circuit with live components. Also, these changes assume that one desires to keep the topology in its current form (pseudo-SRPP), and that a low distortion amplifier is the goal. If the warm sound of abundant even-order harmonics is preferred, don't do this.

According to simulations, the circuit clips at a somewhat low 2.8V RMS input. In addition, while I don't rely on SPICE for distortion analysis, deformation of the output sine wave is visible well under clipping, beginning somewhere around 2V. These results imply that the onset of audible distortion probably occurs at 1V RMS or less.

The solution is to A) remove the 220uF bypass cap at the lower triode, and B) increase both cathode resistors to approximately 2K ohm. When this is done, distortion should remain inaudible until just below the threshold of clipping, and clipping will occur at approximately 5V RMS. The tradeoff to these changes is a loss of 3dB in gain.

There are alternatives to this, but nothing easier, more reversible, or less expensive to try.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.