Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Semantics...

I don't see any circuits but if you substitute the top triode with a resistor the bottom tube obviously functions as a grounded cathode.

I will concede however that in order for the top tube to function as a CF the resistor value needs to increase significantly. Can we agree that as the value of R increases the circuit tends more towards a CF?

Ultimately, to make the circuit something I would use the R value would need to increase significantly requiring a circuit change such as swapping the R with an L or CCS or adding a cap. I like such variations of the circuit and use them a lot but never use the circuit under discussion exactly as it. Even so I still prefer the sound with the OP taken from the bottom tube's plate.

Back to the circuit with the current values, even swapping the top tube with an R will still sound different regardless of the technicalities IMO. To believe otherwise is to believe that there is no difference in the sound of components including tubes.

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.