Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Semantics...

Other than pointing out how this circuit works, which many of us already know you seem to be contradicting yourself in terms of the merits of the circuit and where you would even use it. In the first place you said you've used the circuit yourself and implied it sounds good. Then, in your last post you've basically attacked it. I only said that I preferred the sound when OP was taken from the plate of the bottom tube, nothing more about about its sound quality.

The thumbnail breakdown I gave of the circuit's operation is accurate in this application. I don't know why you get so fired up about terminology when these are relative terms in the context of discussion. But I accept that we are all different and that doesn't make my POV right, it's just my opinion.

To be honest it doesn't bother me what the circuit is called, it's the operation that counts and I've read the references you provided long ago. As you've pointed out it has many names but SRPP is by far the most common IMO.

Speaking semantics, even CCS is a relative term ... at what point do you call it just a high impedance versus a CCS? To take your point to the extreme I say there is no such thing as a CCS, period, because none are perfect no matter how well designed!

The point you made about replacing the top tube with a resistor in this circuit is totally erroneous. Only the load resistor is multiplied by mu+1 when the tube is in circuit but the top tube still functions as a CF with a much lower OP impedance relative to swapping it out with a resistor. If you want to speculate about the bum rap the circuit gets for sound, perhaps the CF output should be on the list of possibilities.

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.