Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Heard the Unison Research Performance

Lucky me, I got to audition this rare beast, the Unison Research Performance at an audiophile's place and incidentally he was also driving a pair of Tannoy Turnberry SE with it :-). It could not have got better in terms of hearing the amp as it would have sounded at my home.

Overall the sound was very nice. It has very good PRAT. Music just bounced from note to note freely. This amp is an SET and it absolutely sounded like one in terms of coherence and musical connection. Mostly the music was free of any apparent colouration. The bass was not very tight though. It was a bit rounded. It is not one of those amps which will control bass like a 845 or 211 or a push-pull amp. But there is still ample control for music to sound focussed. One thing that stands out is smoothness. It is buttery smooth presentation and this is exactly where I was a little dissapointed. Even though it is nicely detailed its smooth presentation glosses over the textural resolution of the instruments a bit (compared to my Wavac at least). You hear the strings but the stringy texture is slightly polished. The attack and decay is perfect which makes listening music very enjoyble. But if you are accustomed to higher resolution amps like Wavac and Audio Note, you may end up finding the last bit of resolution being glossed over. I guess it is mostly coming from the output transformer, which though has very good bandwidth, is less resolved compared to higher end transformers like Tango, Audio Note or Hashimoto.

Nice all rounder anyway.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.