Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Club-member comments on system and amps

1. In such a huge room--about 25' wide and 70' deep--the 8-Watt Frankensteins ran out of power at higher levels while the WAVACs never did.
2. Within the Franks' comfort level of power output, they sounded a bit edgy all the time while the WAVACs never did, and the WAVACs sounded a bit tonally warmer.
3. Maybe the Franks were a bit more detailed; opinions were mixed on this. IMO, edginess tends to sound like more detail in a short listening session.
4. Comments on the sounds of the whole system were VERY complimentary.

Overall-system sounds:
One fellow called the sounds STUNNING (his all-caps, not mine).
"It sounded so good to me. Very impressive"

"While the Coincident mono block amps probably work fine in a smaller room to fill it to satisfactory listening levels, I think the strain of having to turn it up louder than normal may have depleted the 8 watts generated faster than usual. While both the Coincident and the Wavac are both very musical amplifiers, to my ears the Wavac made your speakers come alive and truly handled the complexity of the classical recordings with ease. The extra head room was evident at the levels we listened. While the WAVACs lean to the warm side, I could easily live with that bent and not feel everything sounded the same."

"...it was a fantastic sounding system, likely one of the best I have ever heard..."

I received lots of verbal comments such as 'best sound ever at a Club meeting', 'wow, I can't believe it sounds so good', and more. To some of my buddies, I answered 'thanks; took me only 50 years'. :-)

I'm keeping the WAVACs and will eventually sell the Franks. How extensive our* improvements to the WAVACs will be is still open, but I'm likey to replace all the output-stage and frontend caps.

* I now ask a friend who's really good at soldering and working with small parts to do a lot of my electrical work, and, as usual, I'll be getting advice from Jeffrey Glowacki of Sonic Craft.

Edits: 10/03/14 10/03/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.